Monday, July 23, 2012

Another year down...

Not that we ever really stop school but we are testing this week so I do count this as the end of our year for practical purposes. It is so funny to test because truth be told testing really isn't, in my opinion, a true way to gauge how much my kids have learned in a year. We do it because we need to for the state we live in - really no other reason.

What we do use for checking progress is varied and based on LIFE. Yes, LIFE! So this year here is what we've learned in no particular order:

How to read aloud and nurse a wee babe at the same time,
How to change a diaper and read simultaneously,
How to schedule the day so that everyone gets a nap (and by everyone I mean mama - lol)
That my girls know how to run the household when I need/want them to do it. Having a newborn last year this time was a blessing in many ways but one of the most treasured is having my girls take really good care of me and the rest of the house while I just loved on Henry. I didn't need any extra hands to come in to help because not only did I have them but they were more than willing and able to manage meals, laundry, etc. We realized that we'd raised them very well when friends brought meals and my girls invited them in, accepted their gifts graciously and then praised the Lord after they left for the provision.
That boys are very different than girls. Really, really different. In every way. I love that.
I'm sure there are many other things but those are the ones that come to mind right off.


Now I'm sure along about now you are wondering about the book learning and whether or not any of that actually took place. Why yes it did, now that you asked. And we have many a paid library fine to show for it.

I have to say I really appreciate the local librarians not blinking an eye when we come in and check out forty to fifty books at a shot. The thing that brings me the most joy is seeing and hearing my kids discussing books they've read and sharing books amongst each other. Nothing like hearing "You have GOT to read this book Mom!" from your kids. Such a cool thing to hear. And to see them dig out books and research materials to learn more about a period of time or a place they've read about makes my heart just sing.

The discussions to be had here at La Geron are as varied as the people who live here. I love hearing their different perspectives on situations and things we are learning about. These kids constantly amaze me at the way they love to learn. I'm especially proud of my one dd who is the first to admit math is not her gig but still continued to persevere through three different types of Algebra programs til she finally feels she conquered it and her fear of it. I love seeing that determination in her. It will carry her far in life. Sometimes the lesson to be learned isn't really about math. It is about sucking it up and doing the hard thing because it needs to be done. And doing it with a heart, while not exactly cheerful, that is obedient.

What we've seen this year is that work, even when it is hard, is the best way to get to the goal. And being persistent while being consistent is a great combination. So, to sum it all up, we grew a lot this year and sure learned a ton. A successful year finished again.

ICL,
Peg

I have to add a note to this - I haven't been blogging at all the last year plus - this is actually the post I wrote last year at this time and didn't post for some reason or another. It seemed to fit today as I just got those tests scores back for all my people.

 I want to say the year since has been a time of many ups and many more downs but in all of it the life we've chosen to live - a life for the Lord, for each other - has shown me more times than I care to say that we have chosen well. My people love each other, love the Lord and love others very well. One cannot ask for more. I am blessed beyond measure. We've lived life, loved well and done some school in the midst of it all. Another successful year down.  May the Lord be with you always. 

In Christ's Abundant Love,
Peg

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Peg, your last paragraph was my most favorite part. If I were to die today, but could say those kinds of things about my family, I would have lived a life worth living.