Monday, January 26, 2009

Joy of the Lord...

I got to see the joy of the Lord this weekend. Now what did I do you ask? I went 5 hours away from home with fourteen yes 14 teens to a winter retreat. We were there with 565 teens from all over the state. All there to have fun, fellowship with other believers and just possibly get a glimpse of God's face. We did that and so much more.

I just have to tell you - in case you don't already know ;) - I'm not the fun mom. Never have been, likely never will be. I'm ok with that. I was there for crowd control. Or that's what I kept telling myself when I signed up to go. Amazing how the Lord works even with those of us who are reluctant (that'd be kicking and screaming "I don't wanna - I don't think I can") participants.

Now let me tell you what really happened. I got to be with 14 of the coolest, fun, amazing, intelligent, beautiful people on the planet this weekend. And yes they are all teenagers! I had the best conversations with these young people - some at 2 in the morning, others sitting on a stairway in the middle of a building, and still others driving down the road. The genuine love these kids have for each other and for the Lord just blows me away. The light in their eyes and the joy on their faces as they sang and danced while praising the Lord was a beautiful thing to behold. And yes, to be a part of!

I saw them step outside their comfort zone, open up to the Lord, let go of some baggage that was not theirs to carry and accept the Lord where he met them. I saw others gather round and love on each other and yes pray for one another. I saw them help one another through and the giving spirits they all have.

I prayed with kids, cried with kids, hugged kids and punched boys in the shoulder (gently of course) - 'cause you know boys don't like hugs. ;) And the entire time I thought "Lord please be with me, help me to know what to say and what NOT to say to these beloved children of yours. Lord, I am woefully and grossly unprepared for this." I pray that I was a blessing to these wonderful kids - they surely were a blessing to me.

So today try to figure out a way to spend some time with the teens in your life. I promise you won't regret it. I surely don't. I'm ready to go back next year!

In Christ's Amazing Love,
Peg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that it went well! I went on a mission trip with our teens last summer and had the best experience. Thanks for pointing out that there are many, many wonderful teenagers in the world. They get such bad press.

Theresa in WV said...

I'm glad you had such a good time!

I thoroughly enjoyed my two field trips with the teens. The first was five days in DC and the second was to Kentucky and Ohio. Teens can be a real blessing!